Friday, April 04, 2008

Eyes Open


Abigail is awake more than she was the first couple of weeks. I developed some habits during her sleepy two weeks than I am having trouble breaking now. For example, I fed her every time she was awake or cried because we were trying to put weight on her and she didn't cry except when hungry. Now, I am realizing that she may cry for other reasons, but I can't stop the easy fix of feeding her to calm her down. I read somewhere that you can't over nurse a newborn baby so I hope that is true. Consequently, her feedings have become more snacky and frequent (almost every hour except for yesterday afternoon when I got some scrapbooking done). I just don't know how to break that because I don't know that she isn't hungry when she cries. My plan is to try to spend more time getting to know her cues so I have a better idea what she needs rather than always assuming it it food.

1 comment:

Ms Eva said...

Oh! I love this page!

Rest assured you WILL come to know her cues. It just takes a little time. And, it is true ... you can't over-nurse a newborn. When you both settle into a rhythm, you'll discover she'll nurse every 2 hrs or so. :)